• Publicado: 27 Feb 2017

  • Archivado en: datascience, jekyll

Jekyll set-up in Windows 10

I recently left my macbook (unvoluntarily) and started using the Windows computer I use at work. When I wanted to use Jekyll for this blog I ran into some issues, so I thought I’d give a short rundown of how to fix them (for future reference).

The tutorial here: http://jekyll-windows.juthilo.com/ is by far the most comprehensive, explaining step by step the process to set-up my blog.

Ruby

First hurdle: installing ruby devkit was an issue without being logged in the administration user. Fixed it by running cmd as an admin. I found the solution here.

Encoding

After installing Python and trying to jekyll build I ran into another issue:

incompatible encoding regexp match (UTF-8 regexp with CP850 string)

It seems like it’s something to do with the fact I wrote previous posts in UTF-8 and for some strange reason Windows 10 didn’t understand. I tried to place explicit encoding in the files and config.yaml file, but what finally worked was detailed here.

Specifically, the update is what worked: running chcp 65001 before the build.

Syntax

Another hurdle I ran into was the pygment highlighting. I followed instructions here and finally got pip to work.

By installing via: python -m pip install Pygments it seemed to correct the issue. However, a strange missing pygment kept coming up when building.

So, I finally found the issue. Apparently, because of some windows-specific thing (it always is), I had to change the highlighter parameter inside the _config.yaml file to pygmentize, and voila.

Hope this helps to anyone running into the same issues.